Summary: Are you trying to decide between CoolSculpting® vs liposuction? While both procedures produce similar results, they have distinct differences. When you have fat that doesn’t go away, even when you eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly, liposuction and CoolSculpting® are your best options for contouring your body and getting the shape you want.
How Liposuction Works
Liposuction is a surgical procedure where a tool called a cannula is inserted under the skin through an incision and suction is used to remove fat from the body. Most plastic surgeons perform tumescent liposuction, where a saline solution is injected into the fat prior to surgery. This loosens the fat cells and makes them easier to remove. All body types tend to respond well to the procedure. Liposuction is one of the most popular surgeries in the country and has been around for decades.
How CoolSculpting® Works
CoolSculpting® is a non-surgical procedure during which surgeons apply controlled cooling to the areas where there is excess fat. The cold literally kills the fat cells, which dissolve and migrate out of the body in the weeks following the procedure. The surrounding cells are not affected by this process. CoolSculpting® is a relatively new procedure, based on the proven science of cryolipolysis.
Advantages of Liposuction
- You’ll most likely get more dramatic contouring results since liposuction is a more aggressive means of fat removal.
- Fat is removed immediately. There’s a recovery period, but the fat itself is gone right away after lipo.
- You may be able to include additional surgical procedures, like a tummy tuck, in your liposuction appointment.
- Lipo is better for targeting large areas compared to CoolSculpting®.
Advantages of CoolSculpting®
- You will have little or no recovery time. You should be able to resume normal activity immediately after your appointment.
- CoolSculpting® is completely non-invasive. There is no anesthesia, no incisions and no sutures.
- Since CoolSculpting® is not a surgery, there is a lower risk for complications.
- CoolSculpting® is an option for those who don’t want to have surgery or are not good candidates for it.
- CoolSculpting® is proven and effective. You’ll have to wait longer to see how great you look in those skinny jeans, but you’ll still look great.
How to Decide between CoolSculpting® vs Liposuction
Obviously, each one comes with its own set of advantages and limitations. In the CoolSculpting® vs liposuction debate, there is no clear winner. Both procedures can produce excellent results, helping you achieve a more toned look. It just depends on your particular circumstances and goals.
If you want a single, intense treatment that will remove excess fat immediately and don’t mind the recovery that will come with it, liposuction may be your perfect fit. Just remember that liposuction requires more preparation, such as putting in for time off at work and arranging for help around the house. People who are dealing with excess skin may get their best results by combining liposuction with a tummy tuck. Women who plan to have more children or people who aren’t good surgery candidates may find an effective alternative to liposuction in CoolSculpting®.
Neither CoolSculpting® nor liposuction is a weight loss procedure.
For those who are at their ideal weight but still struggle with problem areas, both can provide dramatic results. If you are still struggling to lose weight or aren’t sure which contouring procedure is right for you, talk to a board certified plastic surgeon about which one would fit you best.