Summary: With so many options out there, what kinds of Mommy Makeover are there actually? It turns out this procedure is incredibly variable. That makes sense, as motherhood’s effects on bodies tend to be equally variable. Traditionally, a Mommy Makeover is comprised of tummy tuck, liposuction, and a breast lift. But any of those procedures can be added to or swapped out in order to give the patient the most desirable final outcome possible.
What Kinds of Mommy Makeover Can You Get?
It’s one of the most popular plastic surgery procedures on the market today, but many patients seeking customizability want to know what kinds of Mommy Makeover there are. The reason behind this curiosity is relatively straightforward: different people have different needs. But they all want the benefits that come from a Mommy Makeover.
Some of this is due to good marketing. Mommy Makeovers are currently the “hot” new thing in plastic surgery. That trendiness won’t last, but it’s likely that the popularity of this procedure won’t wane too much—the results are too good for this procedure to ride off into the sunset anytime soon.
Generally, a Mommy Makeover is designed to address some signs of aging and stressors typically associated with motherhood. But not everyone experiences “motherhood” (or even aging) in quite the same way—so what kinds of Mommy Makeover are there for all those patients?
Typical Mommy Makeover Procedure
A typical Mommy Makeover will generally consist of three distinct procedures. These procedures will usually be performed concurrently. And these three procedures are chosen largely because they address certain areas of the body that are commonly stressed by motherhood. (It’s worth noting that these areas of the bdoy are also stressed by simple aging, but that motherhood can often exacerbate and accelerate this process.)
A typical Mommy Makeover will consist of:
- A breast lift: Motherhood (and nursing) can take a toll on the orientation of the breasts. A lift is designed to return the breasts to a more youthful position.
- Liposuction: Pregnancy and motherhood can drastically change the way your body metabolizes fat. This can lead to stubborn areas of fat that only liposuction can effectively remove.
- Tummy Tuck: Another side effect of pregnancy is often a significant amount of excess skin. A tummy tuck can make your belly appear much more youthful and fit by eliminating much of that excess tissue.
Mommy Makeovers That are Customizable
But pregnancy and motherhood does not impact everyone’s bodies in the same way. Indeed, people tend to be exceptionally variable. One mother’s experience is, almost without fail, different than another mother’s. So it shouldn’t come as a shock, then, that Mommy Makeover procedures are also customizable.
The moniker “Mommy Makeover” usually encompasses those three typical procedures. But it doesn’t have to. In fact, there are any number of surgical and non surgical procedures that can be wrapped into a Mommy Makeover procedure:
- Facelift: Motherhood can certainly cause its fair share of wrinkles. Some patients who want to feel more youthful are more concerned with getting a facelift than, for example, a breast lift.
- Botox: When patients don’t necessarily want a significant amount of surgery, they will sometimes turn to non surgical solutions, such as Botox or dermal fillers. These are often incorporated into a Mommy Makeover.
- Breast Augmentation: Sometimes a breast lift just isn’t enough. Pregnancy and nursing can actually deflate the breasts. That means that if patients want that volume back, they may have to consider a breast augmentation.
- Breast Reduction: On the other side of the spectrum is the breast reduction. Both pregnancy and motherhood can cause breast tissue to expand (for a wide variety of reasons), and that can cause all sorts of pain—specifically in the neck and back. Breast reduction surgery can improve your look and your comfort.
This list is, of course, not exactly exhaustive. You can add an arm lift or blepharoplasty—whatever you feel like your body needs. And which procedure gets swapped out for what is typically up to the patient as well.
Ultimately, it’s about ensuring that the patient is happy and content with the results of the Mommy Makeover.
Getting Your Youth Back
Motherhood (and parenting broadly speaking) is a privilege, of course. But it’s also a significant sacrifice. And your body may sacrifice in its own ways. A Mommy Makeover is about reversing that sacrifice, at least in terms of appearance.
No one can actually make you young again. But what a Mommy Makeover is intended to do is give you some more time to enjoy a youthful looking body. What shape that body takes is always, ultimately, up to the patient. That’s why a Mommy Makeover is designed to be customizable.
What kinds of Mommy Makeover are there? As many “kinds” as there are women. And that’s the way it was designed to be.