Summary: There’s no doubt that 2015 was a relatively successful year for plastic surgery, a field that just keeps growing. There’s more demand for some procedures than ever before. That’s why we’re looking at the top plastic surgery trends for 2016.
What are the Top Plastic Surgery Trends for 2016?
The holidays are nearly behind us and that means that 2015 is coming to a close. Naturally, the end of the year is a time to reflect on everything that’s happened to us over the past twelve months—how the world’s changed and how it has stayed the same. As a result, you’ve probably read a large number of year-end lists: the best music of the year, the best television of the year, even the best plastic surgery of the year. But sometimes it makes a little more sense to look forward. That’s why we’re taking advantage of the end of the year to look forward to the best plastic surgery trends of 2016.
To be sure, 2016 will probably mostly resemble 2015. Sometimes there are monumental shifts in plastic surgery, it’s true, but those shifts are difficult to predict. Rather, it’s my sense that the plastic surgery trends of 2016 will mean an increase in the popularity of certain procedures that were gaining momentum over the course of this year. So while we won’t see, necessarily, the dethronement of breast augmentation, liposuction, and Botox, there may be some room for other trending procedures in the year of 2016. Let’s take a look at what some of those procedures might be.
When we mention that we envision 2016 as being a year of smaller breasts, we really mean two things. First and foremost, breast reduction procedures have been increasing in popularity over the past several years. Breast reduction is a great way for patient who have overly large breasts to get some relief from the symptoms that are associated with those breasts: neck pain, back pain, unwanted attention, and so on. But we also mean that women may generally opt for smaller implants when they sign up for breast augmentation procedures.
That’s an important distinction. In some cases, the popularity of television shows such as Mad Men may have steered the trend towards larger breast sizes. But current trends seem to indicate that more women prefer breast sizes that are in closer proportion to the rest of their features. So 2016 will likely see smaller breasts as one key trend.
Larger Rear Ends
There also seems to be some evidence that 2016 looks to be a big year for butt augmentation procedures. These procedures, most commonly performed with autologous fat in what is known as a Brazilian Butt Lift, have been steadily gaining in popularity over the past several years. There’s no doubt about it: big butts are in this year. And we expect them to keep gaining in popularity.
Brazilian butt lift procedures are generally performed in the following manner:
- Step One: Fat is removed from a donor area of the body. Usually, the patient is able to select an area where they would like to see less fat. Liposuction is used to remove that fat.
- Step Two: The fat that has been removed is purified in order to make it both safe and effective. Fat that has not been purified will not take to the new area and could cause other problems.
- Step Three: The purified fat is injected into the desired area; in this case, that means that the fat is injected into the buttocks. This can take hundreds of injections, but that’s the best way to achieve a great final look.
Butt augmentation procedures look to be quite popular for some time to come.
Perhaps surprising no one, the third big thing we see just on the horizon is an increase in lip augmentation procedures. Generally, patients have two options when it comes to lip augmentation procedures:
- Autologous Injections: Just as with Brazilian Butt Lift procedures, these lip injections use fat taken from your own body. They are, therefore, effectively permanent.
- Dermal Filler Injections: These temporary lip fillers are designed to increase the size of the lips, making them look plump and sensual. However, they are—as we said—temporary in nature, so if you like the results, you’ll have to get maintenance injections.
The appeal of lip injections lies, of course, in the way that the lips look plumper, fuller, rounder—in other words, the lips look sexier. It’s an easy way for a patient to look more youthful and more vibrant with only a slight change.
Looking Forward to a Great Year
Whatever 2016 has in store, there are sure to be some surprises as well. We might see a rise in labiaplasty in Milwaukee or facelifts in Argentina. That’s one of the things that makes this field so exciting. You never know what’s around the corner.
- Cutler, J. (2015, December 21). Plastic surgery fads for 2016: Smaller breasts, larger lips. Retrieved December 22, 2015, from http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/plastic-surgery-fads-2016-smaller-breasts-larger-lips-article-1.2472912
- Lip Augmentation: Types, Side Effects, Risks. (n.d.). Retrieved December 22, 2015, from http://www.webmd.com/beauty/treatments/cosmetic-procedures-lip-augmentation
- Rodriguez, R. (n.d.). American Society of Plastic Surgeons. Retrieved December 22, 2015, from http://www.cosmeticsurg.net/procedures/brazilian-butt-lift/