Summary: New statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons has us wondering: what were the most popular plastic surgery procedures on the last year? Knowing what’s popular can help us keep an eye on where the culture is going and what society values from year to year. It can also let us know whether innovative new procedures are catching on the way we might expect them to.
What Were the Most Popular Plastic Surgery Procedures in 2017?
The new statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons are out, and we know what you’re wondering: what were the most popular plastic surgery procedures of 2017? And was plastic surgery more popular than the year before? These are pretty good questions, and we’re not just saying that because we’re thinking the same things! It’s always good to check in on the progress of plastic surgery and see where things are headed.
And the ASPS releases these statistics every year. That provides a very useful running tally–and a great baseline to compare everything against. For example, one procedure might be more popular than it was last year–but significantly less popular than it was in the year 2000. That’s important to know.
Especially because the field of plastic surgery has gone through some tremendous changes in the last 18 years. Since 2000, you could argue, just about everything has changed. Personally, we consider that a good thing. In this field, more changes usually mean more improvements and greater access. So what were the most popular plastic surgery procedures last year? All right, all right, we’ll stop with the suspense!
Top Five Surgical Procedures of 2017
Because it’s the American Society of Plastic Surgeons collective all this data, let’s start with the top five surgical procedures of 2017. That is, these are the top five plastic surgery procedures that involve incisions and surgical recovery. Why we make that distinction (if you don’t already know) will become apparent a little later on.
So here are the top five:
- Breast Augmentation: This was the most popular procedures in 2017, with something like 300,000 patients. This was a 2 or 3% increase over the previous year.
- Liposuction: This fat removal procedure saw nearly 250,000 patients in 2017. That represents a 5% surge over 2016.
- Rhinoplasty: Nose reshaping procedures saw a 2% decline in 2017, down to something like 218,000 procedures.
- Blepharoplasty: Eyelid reshaping or eyelid lift procedures stayed steady year over year, with 209,000 patients or so.
- Tummy Tuck: Rounding out the top five with 129,000 patients or so was Tummy Tuck. This body contouring procedure grew roughly 2% over the previous year.
The year of 2016 was rightfully heralded as a kind of year of facial procedures. All facial procedures seemed to be king! That doesn’t seem to be quite so true of this year’s top five procedures, and I’d bet we’ll be seeing more stories about how 2017 is the year of the body (or of body contouring).
Top Five Non Surgical Procedures of 2017
That brings us to our list of non surgical procedures. Now, as a whole, non surgical procedures saw only a 2% increase in year over year patients. But this area has exploded since the year 2000, getting more and more popular every year. There are plenty of reasons for this popularity, not the least of which is the promise of these procedures: more gain with less pain.
So what were the most popular non surgical procedures of 2017? Let’s take a look:
- Botox: Getting more popular every year, there were over 7 million Botox procedures performed in 2017. No other procedure really even comes close.
- Tissue Fillers: Also known as dermal fillers, these are injectables like Voluma and Juvederm. Somewhere around 2.69 of these procedures were performed in 2017.
- Chemical Peels: These non-invasive peels are used to make your skin look more radiant and youthful. Approximately 1.3 million of these procedures were performed in 2017.
- Laser Hair Removal: It might shock you to see this procedure so high on the list. But apparently somewhere around 1.1 million laser hair removal procedures were performed in 2017.
- Microdermabrasion: Sometimes also known as microneedling, this procedure was performed somewhere around 740,000 times last year.
You see now why it’s valuable to separate the plastic surgery from the cosmetic surgery (or the invasive and the non-invasive).
Why Are Some Popular and Others Are Not?
Many people will look at these numbers and wonder why non-invasive procedures seem so much more popular. There are a couple of reasons. First and foremost, they tend to be non-invasive, and that’s a much easier sell. But they also might require multiple treatments per year in order to achieve or maintain your results–meaning the numbers might include patients who underwent the procedure multiple times.
In either case, both surgical and non-surgical procedures seemed to have a pretty good year–at least in terms of the top five procedures. With the rise in non surgical facial procedures, it’s not hard to make sense of the fall in their surgical counterparts–and the rise in body contouring. What were the most popular plastic surgery procedures of 2017? Body contouring. That is, at least until next year.