Summary: More and more people are deciding to take their cosmetic surgery journey on the road and travel to elite surgery destination spots for the best care in the world.
Relax and Rejuvenate
Not all of us who want cosmetic surgery live in what would be considered a surgical “hot spot.” While it would be fantastic if all of us lived in Orange County (or tropical Thailand!) not all of us have that luxury. For those who live in rural areas, or just want to travel somewhere fabulous for discrete, top of the line care, medical tourism is a quickly growing industry and the options are truly unlimited!
Making a Vacation Out of It
Medical tourism is becoming increasingly popular for those who feel cost is less of an issue and discretion and a comfortable healing process is everything. Popular destinations for medical tourism typically include warm environments such as Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, South Africa, and Thailand. Many Americans also travel to their own coasts for world class care, finding skilled surgeons in Los Angeles, Miami, and The Hamptons. There are so many benefits to visiting these places, including the following:
- Top of the line doctors are often available in bigger cities. For example, Minneapolis breast augmentation surgeons like Dr. Gervais and Dr. Tholen are some of the best in the country.
- Going away for surgery allows for full discretion from your friends and family
- Vacationing while undergoing surgery is a two-for-one pleasure
- A relaxing spot will help you have a stress-free recovery
One of the biggest fears of medical tourism is something going wrong while you’re far away from home. We’ve all heard horror stories of people undergoing surgeries in foreign countries and the results being less than desirable. This is not always the case, however, and it is so important to know that medical tourism is a booming and successful industry that produces millions of happy patients. Keep the following in mind and your experience should be nothing short of amazing:
- Stay informed. Researching your clinic and surgeons credentials before leaving for a medical vacation is a critical part of making sure you are going to receive the best care possible.
- Undergo a Medical Examination. Consultations are key when it comes to successful cosmetic surgery. It is likely a red flag if your surgeon doesn’t allow you time to ask any questions before heading under the knife.
- Pay the Price. While it may be tempting to want to fall for a cosmetic procedure that sounds like a bargain, more often than not you get what you pay for. If the asking price for a procedure seems unrealistically low, proceed with caution.
- Remember Why You’re There. Combining cosmetic surgery with a vacation can sometimes lead to people not truly understanding the seriousness of what they are about to go through. Plastic surgery is major surgery and should always be treated as such, whether you’re undergoing breast augmentation in a city or near the beach.