Summary: It can be difficult to figure out just when you should get a mommy makeover procedure. This procedure depends on what’s happening in your life and when it’s happening.
The Timing of a Mommy Makeover
Timing is an important factor when it comes to plastic surgery procedures. There are some procedures (such as facelift procedures) that you simply do not want to get too early life. But there are other procedures that are a little more flexible, such as breast augmentation. Those procedures depend mostly on the whims of the patient—when they want results and when they have time for the procedure. There’s a third category that depends largely on what’s happening in your life and when some major life events take place, and that’s the category in which we find the Mommy Makeover.
It can be difficult to plan when, precisely, you should get your mommy makeover. It’s a procedure that you want to get while you’re young enough to enjoy it, obviously, but it’s only worth the surgery if your body has been through some experiences—experiences such as child birth, weight loss, and the general stress of daily life. There’s a lot going on. Part of the complexity, of course, arises from the fact that a mommy makeover is comprised of three separate procedures. These procedures are each designed to address a different area, so maybe we should start with that.
What is a Mommy Makeover?
As mentioned above, a so-called “mommy makeover” is actually a combination of three different procedures. There are, in fact, three procedures that are generally performed together (or in short order) for a mommy makeover. Those procedures are as follows:
- Liposuction: As we age, and as life gets in the way, we tend to develop pockets of fat that are really tough to get rid of. Those trouble areas can be mitigated with liposuction. Modern liposuction, after all, can be used not only to eliminate those unwanted areas of fat but to sculpt and contour the body.
- Tummy Tuck: Another thing that happens as we age is that we tend to develop some excess skin. This is especially true for women who have gone through the pregnancy and giving birth or for people who have lost weight. Nothing short of surgery would make that excess skin go away. But once that excess skin is eliminated, the belly looks much more lean, fit, and youthful.
- Breast Lift: As you age, gravity affects the breasts, pulling them down. A breast lift is a procedure during which the youthful perkiness of the breasts is restored by eliminating excess skin and reorienting the breast. This is an incredibly popular procedure among women who are combatting that particular side effect of aging.
When Should You Get a Mommy Makeover?
Many of the issues a mommy makeover is designed to address, excess tissue, problem areas of fat, and breasts that are no longer oriented in a youthful way, can be sped up or exacerbated by life events. There is a reason, after all, that this set of procedures is referred to as a mommy makeover. The stress (both physically and mentally) of motherhood can have a detrimental impact on the body. For that reason, most plastic surgeons recommend waiting until certain events have passed before getting a mommy makeover. According to the website of the Houston mommy makeover experts at South Shore Plastic Surgery, it is recommended that women wait until:
- They do not plan to have more children
- They are of a relatively stable weight
- They are emotionally prepared for surgery and for the results of surgery
- They can benefit from the results of surgery
- They can take time off of work or other duties for recovery
There are, of course, other criteria. And, to be sure, having a mommy makeover today does not mean you can no longer have children. That part is completely up to you. But it’s likely that pregnancy, for example, would destroy any results you got because of your tummy tuck procedure in the first place. For this reason, many surgeons generally recommend that you wait until you are no longer planning to have children until getting a tummy tuck.
In the End, it Depends on Your Life
When you get a tummy tuck procedure, at the end of the day, will depend on what’s happening in your life. If you feel like you’re done with kids, then it might be a good time. If you feel like you need the boost in confidence and self-esteem, then it might be a good time. The best way to find out for sure is to talk to a plastic surgeon—begin the discussions today so that when the time is right, you’re ready to move on it. That way, you’ll maximize the amount of time you get to enjoy your transformation.