What Happens During a Mommy Makeover?
When it comes to targeting a specific audience there is perhaps no procedure that is more successful as the so-called Mommy Makeover. The term is, of course, a creation of good marketing. And it does do something of a disservice to possible patients—after all, this procedure is not exclusive only to mothers.
But the moniker is a nice short cut. As it is, a Mommy Makeover is typically comprised of roughly three procedures: a breast lift, liposuction, and tummy tuck. These three procedures are designed to address complaints that are common among mothers or at least exacerbated by motherhood.
Want to know more about mommy makeover procedures today? Check out our news and articles on Mommy Makeovers.
What Procedures are Included in a Mommy Makeover?
In its most common formulation, a Mommy Makeover is comprised of three procedures. Those procedures include:
- Breast Lift: The breasts are often contorted and distorted by a combination of pregnancy and aging. That’s why many women like to see the breasts returned to a youthful buoyancy and orientation. In other words, a breast lift can help make the breasts look like they did before a pregnancy (or make them look even better).
- Liposuction: Being a parent is hard and stressful. Stress can tamper with your body’s way of storing and eliminating fat. Pregnancy can exacerbate that quite a bit. Sometimes, when you want your old body back, liposuction can be the only way to eliminate specific areas of fat. Modern liposuction sculpts your body so that the curves you love can be highlighted while you eliminate fat.
- Tummy Tuck: Pregnancy tends to stretch your skin out considerably. There’s just no getting around that. And once your skin stretches, it often doesn’t bounce back—at least not all the way. A tummy tuck is designed to eliminate that excess skin so your belly area can appear youthful and fit.
Taken together, these three procedures often address the primary complaints of mother’s (and other patients) that feel as though pregnancy (or life) has aged them prematurely. A Mommy Makeover is a convenient way to discuss those three procedures as a package.
It’s worth noting that many patients will customize their Mommy Makeover procedure. In many cases, this is accomplished by adding or swapping out procedures. A patient may opt to get a breast augmentation instead of or in addition to a breast lift. Other patients may not feel that they require liposuction and will instead opt for a different procedure. One of the nice things about a Mommy Makeover is that, essentially, you can make it whatever you want it to be.
What Makes a Good Mommy Makeover Candidate
Generally, Mommy Makeover candidates will be healthy and interested in the procedure. It’s important that candidates express a genuine desire to undergo surgery, as that is one of the most important factors in predicting whether a procedure will yield a satisfactory result or not.
Most patients will use a Mommy Makeover to address the following concerns:
- Excess skin around the belly
- Excess fat in various places around the body
- Drooping or sagging breasts
- Areas of the body that look significantly less youthful than patients would like
- Loose or excess skin in the arms or back
- Various areas of loose skin or excess tissue
In other words, Mommy Makeovers can be used to address a wide variety of issues. It’s important to note that candidates for a Mommy Makeover should refrain from using tobacco and should have realistic expectations about what any plastic surgery procedure (but Mommy makeover in particular) can accomplish.
Do Patients Like Mommy Makeover Results?
As with any plastic surgery procedure, there is a recovery period associated with a Mommy Makeover. Because most patients undergo roughly three procedures at once, that recovery is usually measured in weeks. However, everyone is different, and it can be difficult to predict precisely how long your recovery might be (especially because a Mommy Makeover is so customizable).
However, once that recovery period passes, you’ll be able to fully appreciate your Mommy Makeover results. By and large, these procedures tend to generate satisfactory results—which means that patients tend to be thrilled with the results. Patients who undergo Mommy Makeover procedures often report:
- Improved confidence and self esteem
- A firmer, tighter, more youthful tummy
- Increased happiness in their overall body shape
- Breasts that have successfully been moved to a more youthful orientation
For many patients, it’s really about recapturing a youthful feeling that was, in some cases, taken a bit too early by motherhood. Once that youthful look is regained, patients often feel a bit more radiant, a big more vigorous. And they tend to be incredibly happy with the results.
A Mommy Makeover is, in some ways, a full body transformation. It can make big and bold changes to the body. And it can help many women reward themselves for the long years of motherhood—and the toll that takes on their bodies.
To find out what a Mommy Makeover can do for you, contact your local plastic surgeon to schedule a consultation and find out more!